Standards and Guidelines Evidence (SAGE) is a searchable database of more than 2,500 English-language cancer control guidelines and standards released since 2003. The cancer guidelines have been rated for reporting quality using the Appraisal of Guidelines for Research and Evaluation (AGREE) II instrument, the current gold standard in guideline critical appraisal. The Standards and Evidence Guidelines (SAGE) was originally created by Dr. Melissa Brouwers and her research team at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario.
The SAGE directory can be used by many stakeholders:
- the public, patients, clinicians and policy-makers who are interested in resources to help in their decision-making processes
- guideline developers, to reduce duplication, facilitate guideline adaptation, promote sharing or improve the quality of the guidelines they develop
- researchers, to identify potential gaps in the cancer control field, and
- system leaders who are interested in using guidelines as part of an overall quality improvement mandate.
Each entry in SAGE includes:
- details about the guideline and the developer
- a short description of its contents
- AGREE II
quality appraisal scores
- links to the full text version of the guideline, the National Guideline Clearinghouse quality assessment and/or MEDLINE abstract (if available)
- the current status of the guideline as reported by the guideline developer:
- guideline is in development
- guideline is current
- guideline is in need of an update
- guideline is being updated
- guideline has been updated
- guideline is withdrawn
- guideline status is unknown (if no information available).