How can the Directory be used?
Monitoring and Surveillance
As a monitoring tool, the Directory can help those working in policy to identify gaps and needs in policy development, or show progress in addressing cancer and other chronic diseases. The Directory can be used to assess the current state of preventive policy and legislation across Canada.
Evidence-Informed Healthy Public Policy Development
Take an evidence-informed approach to healthy public policy development by using the Directory to identify existing policies to help draft policy and legal instruments, or provide support for policies and legislation that promote health.
Use the Directory to develop funding proposals, conduct environmental/policy scans, and search for grey literature on prevention policy documents.
To access the Partnership’s webinars highlighting the Directory, its utility and illustrative examples from various cancer and chronic disease risk factors and experts in the field please click here.
Resources for schools of population and public health
We’ve developed resources for faculty and students at schools of population and public health on how to use the Prevention Policies Directory for healthy public policy coursework and in future public health careers. Learn how to put the Directory for work for you:
Keyword searches within the Prevention Policies Directory
Variations of keywords and phrases are now considered in keyword searching, which often results in a larger set of search results. Records that are most relevant (i.e., records that contain the exact search term(s)) will now rank higher on the search results page.
- If searching for phrase “community garden”,
- Search results will now return policies containing any of the following, or a combination of words: community, garden, communities, gardens, community garden, garden community.
- Policies that contain the exact phrase “community garden” will be listed first, however, other policies containing only “garden” or “community” may also appear in the list of search results.
- If searching for phrase “community garden,” and you made a typo when entering the phrase (e.g., “communitu garden”),
- Search results will now return records containing any of the following, or a combination of the following words:community, garden, communities, gardens, community garden, garden community.